Rupert George Cooke was born on 5 June 1894 in Arncliffe, Sydney, NSW, Australia. Rupert was baptised on 19 February 1899, at the Cathedral Church of St. Andrew, in Sydney. At the time of Rupert’s baptism, the family home was in the Ashfield suburb of Sydney. Rupert was a son of Optician Augustus Robert Cook/e and his wife Marion (nee Hayes Tipping). Rupert enlisted into the Australian Imperial Force at Marrickville, New South Wales and began his First World War service on 10 October 1916 – N477205. Next of kin was given as “Lilian Cooke”. His father Augustus was named, living at “7 Harbour St., Mosman, Sydney, N.S.W.” – which was the family home. Rupert’s occupation was given as “Motor Mechanic” – he had undertaken an apprenticeship at the Clearview Garage for three years (?in Arncliffe?). Rupert confessed to having been “convicted by a Civil Power” … “Once. Exceeding speed limit.” On 17 October 1916, Rupert embarked from Sydney on the ship ‘Borda’ – heading for Great Britain. On 9 January 1917, Rupert disembarked at Plymouth, England. On 9 February 1917, Rupert left Folkestone, on ‘H.M.T. Princess Alice’ … disembarked at Boulogne, the same day - for operations in France. Rupert served as No. 12890 Driver R. G. Cooke, 4 Australian Divisional Motor Transport Company, Australian Imperial Force. Having been “Granted leave to U.K.”, Rupert spent 3-13 September 1917 in England. In England, Rupert committed the “Crime Absent without leave from “0600, 15/9/17 to 0600 on 17/9/17. (2) Making a false statement to a senior N.C.O. Award Forfeits 7 days pay by OC unit & 3 days by RW (£3-10.)” (Award being given to Rupert back in France on 19/9/17). On 3 January 1918, he was admitted to a Field Hospital with a hernia. On 20 February 1919, Rupert was admitted to 13th Hospital Ambulance, with influenza: 21 February, transferred to 53 CCS (Casualty Clearing Station); transferred to 48 CCS; 12 March, admitted to Fulham Military Hospital in London – “suffering from influenza”; 26 April, transferred to Weymouth. On 27 May 1919, Rupert’s father wrote to Base Records in Melbourne, from “Rhosneigr”, Jersey Road, Artarmon near Sydney N.S.W: “Dear Sir, Please take notice of my change of address from 7 Harbour Rd. Mosman Sydney to the above. On the 28th March you notified me that my son … was ill with influenza … since then I have not heard, may I ask you to kindly enquire for me whether he is on his way to Australia on one of the many transports which left recently, or any information concerning him. …” The reply from Base Records, dated 2 June 1919, reads: “In acknowledging receipt of your communication of 27th ultimo, I have to state, no information has come to hand regarding your son, No. 12890 Driver R. G. Cooke, 4 Aust. Motor Transport Company, beyond that already conveyed. It is therefore to be assumed he has made satisfactory progress, as the overseas authorities make a practice of advising this Department should a soldier’s condition change for the worse. Upon receipt of advice that the above-mentioned soldier is returning to Australia, or any other cable reports regarding him, you will be promptly notified at your new address, which has been noted.” On 1 August 1919, Rupert’s father wrote again to the Base Records in Melbourne: “Dear Sir, Can you supply me with information concerning my son. No. 12890. Motor Transport Section. Rupert George Cooke, the last news of him was from the Monte Video Convalescent Hospital Weymouth (April). I shall much appreciate any advice you can send me. Yours faithfully A R Cooke” Rupert began his return home to Australia on 8 September 1919 (on the ‘Prinz Ludwig’), arriving back on 22 December 1919. In 1923, Rupert married Lillian Louise Hird ... at Chatswood, New South Wales, Australia. In a 1924 Directory, Rupert G. Cooke is living in Jersey Road, Artarmon, NSW. In 1929, a Sands Directory has “Rupert G. Cooke” was living at 27 Bligh-street, Northbridge, Sydney. During the Second World War, Rupert served in Australia’s Army Citizen Military Forces. He enlisted in Marrickville, NSW. Service Number: N477205. In the 1968 Electoral Roll for Dundas, Rupert and his wife Lillian are living at Bells road, Dundas, Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia. Rupert’s occupation was “Engineer”. Rupert George Cooke died on 5 September 1977, at Concord Hospital “late of Dundas”. In The Sydney Morning Herald, of “Monday, May 25, 1992, the following appeared within the PERSONAL NOTICES: “COOKE, Lillian Louise.—May 24, 1992, of Gerringong, beloved wife of Rupert (deceased), loving mother and mother-in-law of Rod and Frances (deceased), Barry (deceased), Josephine and Roy (deceased), Merridy and Peter, loved grandmother and great-grandmother of their children. Aged 92 years. At peace. For funeral details please watch these columns or ring Stan Crapp Funerals P/L, Kiama. Phone (042) 32 2371.” added by Heather
Ancestry and TROVE