Born: 6 October 1890

Died: 29 June 1957

A bank clerk who enlisted in the AIF in April 1915. He departed for Egypt on 25 June 1915 as a Sergeant with the 20th Battalion.

He landed at Gallipoli on 16 August 1915 and remained there until the evacuation in December 1915. In October 1915 he was promoted to Second Lieutenant and in March 1916 to Lieutenant.

The 20th Battalion landed at Marseilles in late March 1916 and immediately went to Steenbecque in the north of France near the Belgian border. He received the Military Cross for his actions at Pozieres in late July 1916. The recommendation for the award was:

"For his courage and skill while leading a bomb attack up Hunster Alley, East of Pozieres during the night of 27th/28th July 1916. The 20th Bn. Bombing Platoon under Lieut. Broadbent was sent to the assistance of the 17th Bn. who were being heavily attacked by the enemy.

Lieut. Broadbent arrived just when the enemy's attack was at its height, and his courage and skillful dispositions assisted materially in repelling the hostile attack. He personally directed the operations of his bombers, to do which, he continually exposed himself, and at a critical period of the attack he threw bombs himself continuously for nearly an hour. It was largely due to this Officer's courage and skill that the hostile attack was repulsed, and about fifty yards of his trench captured and hold (sic)."

He was wounded (scalp) in action on 29 July 1916. After treatment and convalescence in France, he rejoined the 20th on 8 September 1916. At the end of October 1916 he was seconded to the 5th Training Battalion in England and soon after promoted to Captain.

He returned to the 20th Battalion in July 1917. He was wounded (left leg) in action for a second time on 20 September 1917 when his unit successfully attacked the German lines at Westhoek Ridge to the east of Ypres, Belgium.

He was treated in France initially for his wounded leg from which he recovered quickly. However, he remained in France convalescing and being treated for debility until late February 1918 when he was sent to England for further convalescence. He returned to the 20th Battalion on 18 May 1918.

He was Mentioned in Dispatches in November 1917 for:

"distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty in the Field during the period 26/2/17 to 20-21 September 1917."

He participated in the Hundred Days Offensive from its start on 8 August 1918 until he was seconded to 5th Brigade Headquarters NCO School on 26 September 1918 where he remained until late October. By then the 20th Battalion had completed its last action of the war at Estrees and had been moved on the 7th of October to a rest area where it remained until the Armistice.

In February 1919 he started a two month course in wool classing at Bradford, England. He embarked for Australia on 15 June 1919 and arrived 2 August 1919. His appointment in the AIF was terminated on 2 October 1919. [JSB]

Name recorded
Service number
Birth record
Death record
Main sources